메뉴 건너뛰기

XEDITION

Board

House Republican Leader Kevin McCarthy indicated Friday that he wouldn't be taking any action against Rep.
Lauren Boebert for making suicide bomb jokes about Democratic Rep. Ilhan Omar, who is Muslim, claiming Boebert has already apologized.  

image.php?image=b8architecture_exteriors

'Let me be very clear.

This party is for anyone and everyone who craves freedom and supports religious liberty,' McCarthy said at a Capitol Hill press conference. 'Lauren Boebert, as I called her, when it came forward we talked, she apologized publicly, she apologized personally.'

McCarthy also turned the controversy around, telling reporters he didn't receive a personal apology when Democrats made disparaging comments about the California Republican and other members of his caucus.  

'Did any of you raise the question when someone on their side of the aisle said I worked with the Ku Klux Klan, referring to Republicans?' he asked. 

He was referring to Rep.

Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez saying he was working with the 'KKK caucus' in his bid for the speakership.  

'Did anyone on your side of the aisle talk about when Omar said the only reason I support Israel is all about the Benjamins?' McCarthy continued, mentioning an early controversy that involved the Minnesota Democrat. 

He also brought up the controversy surrounding comments Omar made she talked about the 'unthinkable atrocities committed by the U.S., Hamas, Israel, Afghanistan, and the Taliban,' pointing out that House Speaker 'did not denounce her for saying that' - , but also said it wasn't a 'rebuke' once Omar clarified her comments.   

'I think when somebody does something that is wrong they apologize,' McCarthy continued.

'Lauren Boebert apologized publicly and then picked up the phone - it took a lot of effort, she wanted to meet personally, denied the ability to meet personally - she picked up the phone and she called Congresswoman Omar, she said I want to personally apologize, and that's what she did,' McCarthy said. 

Democrats, including Ocasio-Cortez, have pointed out that Boebert sent out an apologetic tweet after videos of her making the Islamophobic jokes surfaced, but actually took back her apology during a phone call with Omar.  

House Republican Leader Kevin McCarthy indicated Friday that he wouldn't be taking any action against Rep.

Lauren Boebert for making Islamophobic suicide bomb jokes about Democratic Rep. Ilhan Omar

McCarthy claimed that Democratic Rep.

Ilhan Omar (left) was apologized to by Republican Rep. Lauren Boebert. Boebert initially put out an apologetic tweet, but then took back her apology while on the phone with Omar 

위로