메뉴 건너뛰기

XEDITION

Board

Janelle Monáe Appears To Comes Out As Non-binary On Twitter

JulianeDominquez277 2022.11.28 15:07 조회 수 : 0

She revealed she was pansexual last year after initially coming out as bisexual.

Now Janelle Monáe seems to have opened up about her gender identity in a new tweet.

2 years agoThe 34-year-old actress and singer announced she was non-binary as part of a trending Twitter hashtag.

Opening up: Janelle Monáe, 34, appeared to come out as non-binary in a tweet shared Friday as part of a viral hashtag; pictured in November

Janelle sent her post while quoting a tweet featuring a gif of Stevonnie, a non-binary character from the Cartoon Network series Steven Universe.

'#IAmNonbinary,' she tweeted, echoing the earlier post.

RELATED ARTICLES

Previous

Next

A British star is born in this compelling drama about the... Janelle Monae is being hunted in mysterious first teaser... Janelle Monae loses her head in a chilling costume at... Janelle Monáe suits up in blue and white pinstripes and a...

Share this article

32 shares

'There is absolutely nothing better than living outside the gender binary,' wrote the original poster.

The original post showed the cartoon character wringing water out of their hair and whipping it back.

'"Are you a boy or a girl?" the meme asked. 'I'm an experience.'

Chiming in: Janelle copied the '#IAmNonbinary' hashtag and quoted a post featuring a meme with the non-binary character Steveonnie from Steven Universe

Mum's the word: The singer hasn't clarified if she was making the announcement or just showing her support; shown in October

The Harriet actress' announcement came as the #IAmNonbinary hashtag went viral, and other non-binary people posted to increase their identity's visibility.

Many non-binary people choose to go by they/them pronouns, though Janelle didn't specify a change in hers. She has previously been referred to with she/her pronouns.

She also didn't clarify if her tweet was an announcement, or if she was just posting in solidarity with other members of the LGBTQ community.

People who identify as non-binary don't consider themselves to be completely feminine or masculine, and instead exist outside of the gender binary.

The Human Rights Campaign and GLAAD both shared multiple tweets explain what non-binary identity is and referencing high profile celebrities who identify as such, including Sam Smith, Amandla Stenberg, Pose star Indya Moore and Queer Eye's Jonathan Van Ness. 

Coming out: Janelle previously revealed she was pansexual in a Rolling Stone cover story from April, meaning she can be attracted to people regardless of sex or gender identity; pictured in May

Janelle revealed in April in her Rolling Stone cover story that she identified as pansexual.

'Being a queer black woman in America, someone who has been in relationships with both men and women — I consider myself to be a free-a** motherf***er,' she said.

The Hidden Figures star had previously considered herself bisexual, 'but then later I read about pansexuality and was like, "Oh, these are things that I identify with too." I'm open to learning more about who I am.'

Pansexual people can be attracted to others regardless of their sex or ขายยาสอด gender identity.

Prehistory: Janelle's early stage performances featured androgynous clothing, and she replied 'I only date androids' to questions about her sexuality; pictured as David Bowie's gender-bending Ziggy Stardust character

Janelle first received wide public attention with her 2010 debut studio album The ArchAndroid.

The genre-hopping album fused elements of hip hop, rock and funk à la Parliament-Funkadelic.

Her early stage performances tended to feature androgynous costumes, and she used the stock answer 'I only date androids' when previously asked about her sexuality.

Read more:

Cover Story: Janelle Monae on Prince, New LP, Her Sexuality - Rolling Stone
위로