메뉴 건너뛰기

XEDITION

Board

U.S. Skater Ashley Wagner Explains Disgusted Reaction To Low Score

GLVJuliane98760011 2023.03.02 04:09 조회 수 : 0

'I wear my heart on my sleeve': American skater Ashley Wagner on THAT disgusted reaction to getting a low score

• Wagner's delight in her short-program performance was turned to disgust after receiving an unexpectedly low score in the Saturday team competition
  • Her score of 63.10 was enough to get the U.S.

team through to the finals and the team eventually took home the bronze medal
  • On the today show Monday, Wagner said she felt she had something to prove with her performance following a shaky national competition
  • Wagner said she can 'absolutely' take on 15-year-old Russian skater Julia Lipnitskaia in the individual competition

American figure skater Ashley Wagner gave the Sochi Olympics its first touch of drama this weekend after being photographed gasping in disgust over a low score in the team competition.

The photos of her outraged face and the subsequent GIF of her mouthing the word 'b*******' have since made her one of the most recognized American athletes in the games.

Wagner answered for her uncensored behavior while appearing with the rest of the U.S.

skate team on the Today Show Monday. 

Scroll down for video

Before and after: After finishing what she believed was a stellar short-program performance, Wagner's beams of delight turned to disgust as she received an unexpectedly low score from the judges

'I wear my heart on my sleeve': Wagner appeared on the Today show Monday, saying she doesn't have much of a pokerface in competition

Savannah Guthrie told Wagner it seemed like she didn't have much of a pokerface, and the 22-year-old responded: 'No not at all'.

'I wear my heart on my sleeve,' Wagner said, pokerwalet explaining her candid reaction.

Wagner added that she was out to prove herself in the team competition after performing a less-than-perfect routine in the qualifying competition.

While the top three competitors at the U.S.

Championships are usually selected for the Olympic team, Wagner placed fourth and was chosen over third-place skater Mirai Nagasu.

Waiting game: Wagner blew kisses to spectators as she waited for the results of her short-program competition

Performane: Wagner does her routine at her Olympic debut in Sochi

Sparkly: Wagner donned a bejeweled outfit and performed to Shine On You Crazy Diamond by Pink Floyd

Before the score: Wagner waves to the crowd after her performance

Hopeful: Surrounded by teammates and next to her coach, Wagner waits for the scores

More to come: Wagner says she's hoping to score better in her individual events

Despite the low score, Wagner says she's happy she performed so well in the team competition.

'I needed that performance going into the individual event.

I came off rocky at nationals and I needed to prove myself more than anything - that one competition didn't define me.'

Her performance was enough to propel the U.S. team to the second round of competition, and teammate Gracie Gold's long-program helped give the team a bronze medal.

Russia placed first in the competition and Canada earned the silver medal.

Fellow skater Gold was also interviewed on Today, and spoke about their main competition - 15-year-old Russian skater Julia Lipnitskaia.

Major competition: Russian 15-year-old Julia Lipnitskaia placed first out of the ladies individual skaters in the team competition this weekend, helping her country take the gold

Gold placed second to Lipnitskaia in the team competition, but there was still a margin of 12 points between their two performance scores.

'I mean, she's amazing. She's a machine and she's really tough competitor and I can't wait to skate against her again in the individual,' Gold said.

When asked if they could take Lipnitskaia in the individual competition, Gold nodded yes while Wagner let out a more confident 'Absolutely!'

The American ladies will be back on the rink to battle Lipnitskaia and the rest of the world competition on February 20.

위로